For my final composition, I focused on the idea of forms coming together and forms moving apart. I like this because the viewer isn’t really sure which is happening, however, there’s an implied drifting of letters. The ‘ah’ and ‘ha’ are in areas that allow for interchangeability; almost in a square where it could be read as ah ha over and over and over again. Initially, the letters would have had circles as well. I got almost an underwater experience from the positioning, but opted not to go that route, even though it reminds me of test tubes and experimenting.
The invisible line used is a way to connect the letters with one another, like how many molecular drawings showcase lines to form a compound. I think the way body copy is really what grounds the letters though. I wanted the body to be more serious yet act as an lesser extreme of the letters. It took me a long time to figure out how, and even now, I’m still trying to think of ways to connect it more. I sliced the excerpt where paragraphs were separated and placed them next to each other but at an indent. The top line, “Letters are like molecules” had to be the hardest part for me to do. I wanted something inside the body to show the drifting, and figured that would be just enough to help my case.
I felt these were the strongest in my Calligraphy Cahier. I enjoyed writing every letter form and really took my time learning how to create lines, edges, shapes I enjoyed within the forms. I felt as the semester progressed, my line thickness really improved. I felt more comfortable barely holding onto the pen to get really thin lines.
With “We the People”, I tried many different ways to display it. Ultimately, I started with a new lowercase p form, which I practiced incessantly.
For We the People project, I really tried to improve from project 3. I like organizing type in a way that makes sense but sometimes, that way seems a little boring. So I tried to do different things with it while still being able to create a hierarchy of things. My biggest worries during this regard hierarchy and negative space. Am I shaping the negative space in a way that looks eloquent?
My initial comps are quite boring and I didn’t really think outside the box on the We the People part. I wish I did! I was too worried about everything making sense.
I was a little more focused on making things look unilateral rather than different… and oh no, the text is all justified!
For my next round of comps, I integrated ‘We the People of the United States’ more with the actual body copy. I thought the way I wrote people, with a new ‘p’, while it is difficult to work with, allowed me for pointing at things, almost like a sign. Afterwards I didn’t do many sketches, as I thought I had an easier time working with the type on the computer screen. (Also, WordPress keeps changing the orientation of this image, sorry!)
Here are my new comps. The type was inspired by the actual constitution and the sharp angle at which James Madison did his strokes.
I know the prompt says we can use images in this project, but I really want to focus on organizing type in a clear way that makes sense. I thought Carl excerpt is really interesting; it’s about typography acting as molecules, coming together to make something, which I believe is very accurate!
In order to jump into some type organization, I looked into Michael Beirut. I know his work from the LIGHT YEARS poster but looked into his Yale series as well as other posters/designs/typefaces he created.
The Yale series also led me to another designer, Jessica Svendsen. I thought her take on the Yale series was even more intriguing. She brought distorting type into the picture and manipulating it in a way that makes sense in the context.
As well as various posters on Pinterest:
I also researched into molecular science and the drawings behind them. I was never one for science, except for Physics, chemistry and biology really allude me. Learning about this stuff now that I’m older is a little easier to comprehend and way more interesting. I looked into the basics of molecular structure and how they come together to make compounds like H2O and others.
I did some initial sketches before jumping into comps.
My initial sketches started with me splitting letters in half. I wanted to show how two forms can make the same thing. My idea was to split the letters and have their other half show up elsewhere, either in lowercase or CAPS depending on how the letters combined. I wanted to use capitals contrasting with lowercase at first because I thought it helped show how different letters can be, yet still be the same.
Instead, my comps slowly evolved into something else.
The floating a went somewhere! It brought me to a revelation that I could still have the bottom half of the a show up. The excerpt itself is about coming together to form new things, but still be the same.I was speaking with Professor Luttropp about my predicament on how to treat the body copy. He told me about in the 90s, how some designers would align body copy next to each other, right next to each other, and slightly shift the paragraph.
I’m still struggling with placement for body type. I want to do something different but still makes sense within the grid. I made many thumbnails for this round, but i’m still struggling a little bit with how to do this. I think I might be overthinking it.
(Also, I’m sorry for Paul’s drawing in my thumbnails.)
Updated final versions of my comps. Attempted to fix irregular heavy blue spacing on the top right corner of the page and made the quote seem to fit in more. The colors kind of clash here but the print versions come out nicely. Two versions of the cover, one italicized, one not italicized.
New round of progress comps. Started playing around with typesize for the dates, and overlap. Not quite sure how to treat the overlaps, but I figure ’16 is a big enough block of red that the white type over works out.