Honestly, this project took such a turn from where I had originally intended, I’m not sure if I am the biggest fan of it anymore. I enjoy learning Cinema 4D and it was extremely helpful with that. While I spent a lot of time on this, I feel like there wasn’t enough of a pay off and the message seemed to blur.
I think there’s room for a potential makeover into something much more eloquent and still obscene and inappropriate.
For this project, I really wanted to try my hand at using a 3D program, as I’d like to learn it for the future. I am extremely interested in involving CGI into design work, as it a really big interest of mine. I love the way CGI has integrated itself into visual communication design.
The airhorn idea came from obnoxiousness. I tried to think of obnoxious items that can rival that of a mansplainer and found a megaphone and airhorn in one is not only hilarious, but really, really obnoxious.
I started my research for an airhorn, by first researching the dynamics and how they work. This included looking at patent illustrations, airhorns themselves, etc.
Break In Case of Emergency Section
I became enthralled with the idea of ‘Break in Case of Emergency’ and somehow incorporating that into my design. My first few renders in C4D were of the airhorn and a box type-thing I wanted to create for it. Initially, I thought the type being able to come outward was a cool feature that we could have 3D printed but now, I regret this decision. At the time, I wasn’t sure of the name but I knew the dynamics of an airhorn from research and how the vibrations worked. I devised a plan to map out an airhorn and a megaphone in one.
While I don’t think this is the prettiest mockup, it did teach me a lot about the basics of Cinema 4D.
I think one of the hard arts of this project was dealing with work that didn’t look great while actually doing it. It’s not until rendering do you see what work is actually like. The best example I can give is itv 2’s awesome short videos, the first video being the outcome. The second being the work phase.
After speaking Professor Inciong, I found that the Break in case of emergency was too tame. I decided to run with the idea of obscenity and demonstrate something I’ve never really done before. Creating a project surrounded by phallic symbols was really weird and now, looking at the final, makes me feel even stranger but I enjoy it to some extent. I think there are places it could go further in.
Here are renders I created for the comp:
Not the prettiest, but I think in the future, this project can be worked on and made better.
Without really looking at any major tutorials for my initial mockup, I decided to jump right in and try my hand and see what I could bring up. What I found is Cinema 4D is complex but seems I need to get used to its features, just like any other program.